LaMalfa Supports President Trump’s Executive Actions on Immigration
(Washington, DC) – Congressman Doug LaMalfa (R-Richvale) issued the following statement after President Trump announced a pair of executive orders to strengthen the U.S. border and curtail illegal immigration – including the construction of a wall along the southern border with Mexico.
LaMalfa said: “I support President Trump’s swift and decisive action to deliver on the promises he made to the American people to enforce our nation’s immigration laws. None of these are more important than securing our southern border and combating illegal immigration. These executive orders will start the process of constructing a wall along our porous southern border with Mexico, as well as tripling the number of immigration enforcement agents and providing them with the necessary resources to do their job. Additionally, the President’s executive actions temporarily halt the influx of refugees from the Middle East and defund sanctuary cities. This is a matter of national security. I am glad to see the President is taking action without hesitation and truly putting America first.”
The executive actions by the President have the following effects:
- Start the process of constructing a wall along America’s southern border with Mexico.
- Creates detention centers along the southern U.S. border to allow for more efficient and less expensive deportations of undocumented immigrants.
- Increases the number of U.S. Customs and Border Protection staff by 5,000.
- Triples the amount of immigration enforcement agents.
- Bans refugees from many Middle Eastern countries and suspends visas for countries that refuse to accept deportees back into their country of origin.
- Strips federal grant money from cities that harbor undocumented immigrants, known as sanctuary cities.
- Reinstates a federal program to aid Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents in locating and removing undocumented illegal immigrants.
Congressman Doug LaMalfa is a lifelong farmer representing California’s First Congressional District including, Butte, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou and Tehama Counties.