LaMalfa Votes to Permanently Ban Federal Funding for Abortions
(Washington, DC) – Congressman Doug LaMalfa (R-Richvale) issued the following statement after the House passed H.R. 7, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act.
LaMalfa said: “Today, I was proud to join with my fellow men and women of the House to ensure that Americans are never forced to pay for abortions with their tax dollars. This bill makes permanent some of the protections we already have, such as the Hyde amendment, but until now have been forced to go through the appropriations process each year. Coupled with President Trump’s decision to reinstate the Mexico City Policy – which prevents federal funding for abortions outside our borders – this sends a clear message that Republicans are united in our mission to protect all life.”
The main provisions of H.R. 7 are as follows:
- Establishes a government-wide permanent ban on abortion funding by codifying existing policies that prohibit federal funding for abortions.
- Makes permanent the Hyde amendment, which prohibits abortions provided in any federal health care facility – excepting conditions of physical endangerment of a woman’s life or a pregnancy that arises from rape or incest.
- Amends the Affordable Care Act to disallow premium assistance tax credits or health insurance tax credits for providers who cover abortions, beginning in 2018.
- Amends the ACA to ensure multi-state health plans offered on health insurance exchanges do not cover abortions.
- Creates greater transparency to ensure consumers are fully informed about abortion coverage and surcharges on plans sold on the exchanges.
Congressman Doug LaMalfa is a lifelong farmer representing California’s First Congressional District including, Butte, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou and Tehama Counties.